Happenings at the Resource Center
*Picture from Dental Health Awareness Day, where we did a focus on how to take good care of our teeth, toothbrushes courtesy of a very generous donation.
We’re heading into summer vacation for the kids here – including Songkran, the Thai New Year, when the entire country erupts into a 3-day long water fight. It’s a time for holiday-making and revelry. The kids are out of school, and while some go home and help their families, many are left with free time on their hands. Kids with too much time and too little to do don’t always lead to the best outcomes….
So….We, at SOLD, are ramping up our activities at the Resource Center, to try to help fill the kids’ time with more wholesome ventures!
Here are a few things we have planned:
* We’re switching our after-school programs to earlier in the day, so kids can come hang out, use the computer lab, learn to play guitar, and engage in fun projects during the day time now. There will be regular lessons in Thai, Math, English, and computer skills.
* March 30: Graduation Day! We’ll be celebrating and honoring the achievements and efforts of the kids who’ve graduated and are moving on to the next level.
* Monthly Penmanship Contests: Each month we have a contest to see which kids have the best penmanship. The winners are eligible for prizes and will have their names posted, and all participants will earn points they can use for Market Day.
* Songkran Creative Writing & Drawing Contests: Winners will receive prizes and certificates.
* April 24: Baking Day – The kids will be invited to come learn how to bake some goodies. We may even tackle a cake!
* April 25-27: Com Camp – The kids will have a special series of workshops on: how to use the internet for research, Facebook & Social Networks (how to use them safely), and how to create a blog.
We’re very excited about the offerings we have going on for the next couple of months. We hope you are too!